Seeing a Specialist

If you believe you are suffering symptoms that appear to be depression-related see your family doctor, who can manage the situation or refer you to a specialist.

Should I see a Psychiatrist?

In some cases, a family doctor may seek help in managing the treatment of depression and as a result you will be referred to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has received additional training in the field of mental health and mental illnesses. Psychiatrists will assess the mental condition of a patient as well as any associated or underlying physical conditions. A psychiatrist can prescribe medication to treat mental illness.15